Senior Column: Best decision at SHU, getting involved

My journey at Seton Hall is coming to an end and I could not have imagined a better experi­ence. I was lucky enough to be part of honorable organizations such as The Setonian, Delta Phi Epsilon, and DOVE.

In high school, I was very quiet and these opportunities have em­powered me to find my voice. I have been on service trips to Phil­adelphia and El Salvador and was a member of the leadership team of Delta Phi Epsilon.

These are just a few of the op­portunities Seton Hall has offered to me. In particular, my experi­ence with The Setonian has been nothing but the best.

I will truly miss working for the newspaper and working with ev­eryone on the staff. It was a wonder­ful feeling when I first saw my name underneath a published picture. I have never worked with the press before nor have my pictures ever been pub­lished.

This was a great learning experi­ence for me and I was welcomed with open arms. I was granted with many photo opportunities throughout my time with The Setonian. One of my favorites was taking pictures at Seton Hall basketball games at the Pruden­tial Center. I was even given the opportunity to travel to an away game against Providence College. At the games, I met several out­standing individuals such as the Seton Hall Athletics photogra­phers.

Last year, I took the digital pho­tography course offered at Seton Hall and one of our assignments was to interview a professional photographer. The Seton Hall athletics photographer was kind enough to share his story and ex­perience with me about his time working with Seton Hall. This made me appreciate Seton Hall and its family-like community even more.

Getting involved on campus is a goal that every incoming fresh­men should have. It provides a chance for students to grow and learn through a circle of network­ing. Being a part of The Seton­ian allowed me to partake in other freelance photography for other organizations around campus, ex­pand my horizons with photogra­phy, and grow as an individual.

I was more than happy to help The Setonian report to the Seton Hall community each week. The best part is that without even knowing it, I documented my life-changing experience here at Seton Hall.

Leah Poland is a senior chemis­try major from Monroe, NJ. She can be reached at leah.poland@student.shu.edu.