High schoolers visit for Athletic Training Day

Students from Clifton and Roxbury, N.J., high schools were invited to Seton Hall Uni­versity for Seton Hall Athletic Training Day and joined "Every Body Needs an Athletic Trainer" in honor of National Athletic Train­ing Month.

This day is planned and organized by stu­dents in the athletic training program. Stu­dents from different high schools come to the University and learn through workshops about the clinical program. This year the program was held in the Main Lounge.

"We had presentations by professionals, and different stations that students would go around to, and in the end they had a fun quiz," said Carolyn Goeckel, assistant pro­fessor and the chair of the athletic training program.

First-year student in the master of sci­ence in athletic training program Daniel DeShong attended his first Athletic Training Day event.

"Seeing the enthusiasm of the high school students who are aspiring trainers was really exciting," DeShong said. "They were very passionate about participating."

The high schools in attendance each year are affiliated schools where Seton Hall MSAT students do their clinical rotations. Students in the MSAT program enroll in a new clinical each semester in high schools, and colleges and with professional teams.

The goal of the event is to "have the stu­dents gain awareness, to see requirements and learn what the career is all about," club member Katherine Ballweg said. "We have been doing it since the club has been in ex­istence."

Freshman athlete Sidney Cook said her mother is going to Methodist Uni­versity to become an athletic trainer.

"Growing up, she didn't get a chance to go to college," Sidney said. "Now she wants to help people and she sees this as the perfect profession and opportunity."

Athletic Training Day is beneficial for high school students to get a feel of the different settings where they can work and also get the knowledge base and skill sets they need to become an athletic trainer, according to DeShong.

"It was an opportunity for high school students to ask graduate stu­dents questions about the educational programs within athletic training, and they can speak with us to further their pursuit of becoming undergraduate stu­dents," DeShong said.

Students interested in the profession came with athletic trainers from their high schools. Students played games, worked on five different workshops and watched presentations. Students were able to participate in workshops on taping, bracing, rehabilitation and functional movement screenings.

Natalie Negrotti can be reached at natalie.negrotti@student.shu.edu.