Softball drops series against Pittsburgh, 2-1

The softball team fell to Big East foe Pittsburgh, 2-1, this weekend. The Pirates split the doubleheader on Saturday and dropped the final game of the series Sunday.

On a sunny Sunday afternoon, the Pirates fought just like they have all season, but came up short, dropping the rubber game of the series 8-7.

Danielle DeStaso, who started on Sunday, was roughed up, lasting just one third of an inning and giving up five earned runs. The sophomore also pitched in 13 out of 14 innings on Saturday in the double header against Pittsburgh.

After falling behind five runs in the first, sophomore Sara Haefeli pulled the Pirates back within three after hitting a two-run home run.

However, the team only fell behind further when the Panthers put together a two out rally that saw three more runs put up on the board to make it 8-2 after four innings.

A three-run home run in the bottom of the fifth inning by outfielder Maria DeLuca brought the Pirates back to life. Pitcher Jen Metzger kept the Panthers scoreless the rest of the game, giving her team an opportunity for a comeback.

In the bottom of the seventh the Pirates put together a rally started by centerfielder Yasmin Harrell, but it came up short. They scored two runs, but with two outs and no one on base, DeLuca grounded back to the pitcher to end the game.

According to first-year head coach Paige Smith, the offense has been producing, but the team has struggled to keep themselves in games.

"We're giving up more than we're scoring," Smith said. "Our offense has been putting up runs we just got to find a way to get defensive stops that will help our pitching."

In the first game of the doubleheader, the Pirates bats fell silent as they were shut out in a pitchers' duel 1 to 0. Later that day the team bounced back with a 4-3 victory, led by freshman catcher Alex Rabbetts.

The Pirates, who are 11th in the Big East, are now seven games under .500 for the season at 14-21, with 2-9 record in the Big East.

The highlight of Saturday's double header was the play of Rabbetts, who slugged a pair of home runs to propel the Hall to victory. For her performance during the series, the sophomore was named to the Big East Weekly Honor Roll.

Rabbetts is just one of a few freshmen that have been able to make contributions to this young Pirates team. Smith said the youth of the team has been a pleasant surprise of the season.

"We have a lot of strength up and down our classes, but our freshmen are just killing it this year so it's nice to watch that," Smith said.

The Pirates are back in action this Tuesday in a double header against Hofstra at 4 p.m. and 6 p.m. at home.

Kenny Lenoci can be reached at Kenneth.lenoci@student.shu.edu.