Faculty plan second talent show

Have you ever wondered if your professors have hidden talents? Perhaps they dance or play an instrument, but you potentially would never know about it. The second annual Faculty Talent Show allows for students to get a new look at what their professors do outside of the classroom.

Students will have the oppor­tunity to watch their professors perform talents such as singing, dancing, dramatic readings and comedic routines on April 18 at 6 p.m. in the Main Lounge.

"Dr. Debra Zinicola and I got the idea for the show last winter when we realized there were no faculty-focused events in the spring," Pro­fessor Mary Balkun, a co-organiz­er of the event said. "[An event] that gave everyone a lift would be welcomed this time of year."

Last year while organizing the event, Balkun and Zinicola want­ed to give back, so they decided to make the talent show a fundraiser for charity. Over $400 was raised for the Maison Fortune Orphanage in Haiti. This year, working with the Division of Volunteer Efforts, all of the funds raised will go to the Newark Catholic Charities.

Currently 14 faculty members have signed up to showcase their talents including Professor Rich­ard Blake, who will be playing the guitar.

"I [performed in the talent show] last year and had a wonderful time watching and listening to my col­leagues in very different roles than I normally see them," Blake said. "It was fun and college life, even for faculty, should encompass this."

Balkun will display her own tal­ents at the show but is currently keeping it a secret.

She added that some of the people performing actually have professional training in their tal­ent and have performed in various venues in the past.

"We hope that a lot of students come out to support this good cause and help us make this nigh a success," Balkun said. "[Profes­sors] are already rehearsing and planning their acts and we expect a few surprises along the way. All in all, it will be a good way to head into the final days of the semester."

Any faculty member interest­ed in participating should email Mary Balkun and Debra Zinicola by April 15.

Admission is $8 for faculty and $3 for students with Seton Hall I.D.

Briana Knox can be reached at briana.knox@student.shu.edu.