Brad Paisley creates drama with album

Popular country singer and songwriter Braid Paisley debuted his first self-produced album on April 9, 2013. The West Virginia native released “Wheelhouse” with the help of LL Cool J, Char­lie Daniels, Dierks Bentley, Hunt­er Hayes, Mat Kearney and Brit­ish comedian Eric Idle, marking Paisley’s eighth studio album.

Although many country art­ists have blended pop music into their sound in order to become more radio-friendly, Brad Paisley sticks to his country roots whole­heartedly on “Wheelhouse.” The 17-track album shows how far Paisley has come since his first hit single, “Who Needs Pictures,” winning countless awards and go­ing on numerous sold-out tours. The songs on “Wheelhouse” have an edgier feel to them than what fans are used to hearing but are still catchy and perfect for the warm weather.

“Southern Comfort Zone” leads off the album and emphasizes how Paisley is coming out of his own “comfort zone” with its contemporary feel. “Accidental Racists” brings deep lyrics and meaning to the album by discuss­ing race in the south. LL Cool J is featured on the track and gives the song more depth and interest. The song is creating controversy amongst artists, but Paisley and Cool J both defend the song. The current single, “Beat this Sum­mer,” is already taking off among fans and although it is not yet sum­mer, everyone seems to be happily preparing for the season.

Overall, “Wheelhouse” has the classic Paisley elements that fans know and love but shows growth and development from the artist – something that is much appreci­ated.

The Setonian gives this 5 out of 5 stars.

Amanda Boyer can be reached at Amanda.boyer@student.shu.edu.

Author: Amanda Boyer

Amanda is a senior public relations major graduating in December 2015, a semester earlier than the four-year track, from Hillsborough, NJ. Prior, she was the Photography Editor and now holds the postion of being the Social Media Manager of The Setonian. She is also a freelance photographer for on and off campus events. As a writer, she is also a contributor to CupidsPulse.com, HerCampus.com and TheTaiLife.com.