Blake Shelton and Luke Bryan host 2013 Academy of Country Music Awards

The 2013 Academy of Country Music Awards brought the south to Las Vegas on April 7. Blake Shelton and Luke Bryan hosted the evening, and seeing as the two country stars are self-declared funny guys, it was a night of pure entertainment. Shelton and Bryan are good friends, but that did not stop them from poking fun at each other during the show. The humor was in good taste, however, and the audience loved their brotherly banter.

Like all award shows honor­ing musicians, the ACMs featured performances from country's best. Album of the Year winner Eric Church performed an acoustic version of "Like Jesus Does" that was unexpected and beautiful. Miranda Lambert sang "Mama's Broken Heart," a fiery track that had the audience out of their seats.

In addition to performing, Lam­bert's track "Over You" won for Song of the Year and Single Re­cord of the Year, and she was named Female Vocalist of the Year. Perhaps no one was prouder of Lambert than Shelton, who is also her husband.

John Mayer also performed for the first time since being diag­nosed with a granuloma with Brad Paisley on his song "Beat This Summer." The guitar-slaying duo showcased their skills and incred­ible talents making for an incred­ible act.

Other winners included Jason Aldean for Male Vocalist of the Year, Thompson Square for Vocal Duo of the Year and New Vocal Duo or Group of the Year, Little Big Town for Vocal Group of the Year and Video of the Year for "Tornado." Florida Georgia Line was named New Artist of the Year.

The coveted Entertainer of the Year award went to Luke Bryan in the most touching moment of the night. The usually tough jokester could not help but break down in tears at the overwhelming grati­tude he felt to be given the pres­tigious title.

Stevie Wonder closed the show, and while he is not often associ­ated with country music, there was no denying how happy the audience was to have him perform live. Faith Hill and Shania Twain sang along to "Signed, Sealed De­livered," and Luke Bryan, Blake Shelton and Hunter Hayes joined the band on stage to bid everyone goodnight.

Alexandra D'Aluisio can be reached at Alexandra.daluisio@student.shu.edu.