Gaming Sector founded after months of preparation

The new Gaming Sector Club doesn't just take on console gaming; it includes video games, board games and outdoor-based activities.

It took about four monthsto get the Gaming Sector started. The idea to start the SHU Gaming Sector was a collaborative effort among Chris Miklius, Kevin Manas, Chris Gbogi (who is the President of the Anime Club), Raphael Glazov and Mike Sobczak.

"We have a lot of work at this school, so to have something that can help us relax and do something we enjoy is great," said Nintendo consultant Terrel D. Harper.

The Gaming Sector has been recognized by Seton Hall as a student organization.

The mission of the SHU Gaming Sector is to provide a friendly, social and healthy interactive experience among students through a relaxed environment provided by an interest in various types of gaming activities, according to the SHU Gaming Sector.

The president of the SHU Gaming sector is sophomore Chris Miklius, a math major. The vice president is sophomore Kevin Manas, who is an Accounting major.

"It's a great way to get to know people that share your interesting and bond over that," Harper said.

At the first meeting of the SHU Gaming Sector there were about 22 people. The president discussed current gaming news for Sony, Nintendo and the other big gaming companies.

At the end of the meeting they played a demo of the game that they plan to have a tournament for. This month is "Project M." "Project M" is like "Super Smash Brothers Brawl" for the Nintendo Wii. In "Super Smash Brothers Brawl" players pick a player such as Mario, Kirby, Lucario and Charizard from Pokemon, Sonic, Diddy Kong, Samus, Link, Falco and about 30 other characters, and fight to see who is better.

"It's a promising club that is sure to thrive once it picks up," said recording secretary, inventory and marketing team member Marisa Murray.

The Gaming Sector meets bi-weekly on Wednesdays at 8:30 p.m. in Fahy Hall room 108. And anyone can join the Gaming Sector.

Selin Ildokuz can be reached selin.ildokuz@student.shu.edu.