Seton Hall scores 17 runs in win over Manhattan

The Seton Hall baseball team dropped 17 runs against Manhattan College for the victory on the second day of the 2013 Strike Out Cancer Tournament on Saturday.

The Pirates (5-10) scored eight runs in the first inning as they brought 12 batters to the plate to accumulate eight hits in the inning. The eight runs in the inning were the highest run total for Seton Hall in a single inning this season.

Senior shortstop Giuseppe Papaccio delivered a two-run double down the left field line from the cleanup position in the first inning. Sal Annunziata, Alex Falconi and Zack Granite also contributed RBI hits in the first inning.

After Seton Hall took a 10-0 lead in the fourth inning, both teams engaged in a 13-run sixth inning that lasted for an hour. Manhattan scored seven runs in the top of the inning, but the Pirates responded with six runs of their own.

Meanwhile, senior southpaw pitcher Greg Terhune scattered only two hits over five shutout innings for Seton Hall. Terhune struck out four and walked two while picking up the victory.

Granite finished the game 2-4 with four RBIs, three runs scored, a triple and a pair of walks in the win. Junior infielder Chris Selden finished the game 4-6 with two RBIs, a run scored and reached base four times for the Pirates.

Sophomore infielder Vin Teixeira went 2-4 with three RBIs and a run scored for the Jaspers (5-9). Senior second baseman Nick Camastro finished with three hits with two RBIs and a run scored for Manhattan.

The 2013 Strike Out Cancer Tournament will conclude on Sunday, March 17 as Seton Hall will take on Massachusetts at 3 p.m.

Mike Romano can be reached at Michael.Romano1@student.shu.edu.