Tennis goes 2-1 in San Diego

Even with the warm, southern California sun shining, the Seton Hall tennis team's spring break trip to San Diego was anything but a vacation.

The team was hard at work on the court as they left the Golden State with a 2-1 team record, knocking off Vanguard Univer­sity and Point Loma Nazarene University each by a score of 8-1, following a loss in its first match of the trip to UC San Diego 6-3.

"It was good that the girls spent a lot of time together," said head coach Greg Wyzykowski. "Any­time you have an away trip like that it just helps your team bond­ing."

In their third match in as many days, the Pirates kept the momen­tum rolling with a decisive 8-1 win over Point Loma Nazarene on March 6. Junior Chloe Sher got back to her winning ways in singles, Anna Guryanova picked up her first singles win of the sea­son, and Alex Landert, Madison Shoemaker, Karina Cordero, and Maria Rodriguez all were victori­ous.

The team took care of Vanguard handedly, 8-1, on Wednesday.

Guryanova and Landert earned their first doubles victory together in straight sets, and the teams of Sher and Rocio Portela and Cor­dero and Shoemaker followed in suit sweeping the competition.

The ladies began their three-match trip with a 6-3 loss to UC San Diego on March 5, despite taking two out of three doubles matches.

"Even though we came up short in the team score, every match was winnable if you look at it," Wyzykowski said.

Entering the trip 1-6, and flying home 3-7 is certainly something Wyzykowski said he was happy about.

"The trip was a definite suc­cess, there were so many good things that happened out of it," Wyzykowski said.

The team will begin confer­ence play on March 23 when they travel to Syracuse.

"The whole team played really well," Shersaid. "We played at the standard that we expected to be playing at, and it definitely gave us confidence for the Big East."

Daniel Keefe can be reached at daniel.keefe@student.shu.edu.