Justin Timberlake continues publicity tour as host of SNL

On March 9, multi-talented megastar Justin Timberlake hosted NBC's long-running weekly sketch-comedy show "Saturday Night Live" for his fifth time. Timberlake also took on the role as the show's musical guest.

The episode garnered "SNL's" best ratings in over a year, as Timberlake performed skits with many guest stars including Andy Samberg, Chevy Chase, Steve Martin and Dan Aykroyd. This rat­ing spike was not surprising, though, as episodes with Timberlake as host have traditionally been well-received.

From the first few skits it was clear the cast and writers of "SNL" brought their A-games, as they rehashed some of the show's most beloved characters like Two Wild and Crazy Guys, the Bing Bong Brothers and one of Timberlake's most memorable reoccurring characters, the dancing and singing mascot for Vegan­ville. Other skits featured Timberlake as a sober version of Roman Emperor Cal­igula, a bailiff in the fictional French Quarter of Maine, an actor in a stereotypical romantic comedy trailer and a champagne spokesman with an adult twist.

Joining Timberlake onstage for his musical performance of "Suit and Tie" along with his backing band, The Tennessee Kids, was Jay-Z, who co-wrote and is also featured on the new single. Jay-Z helped to bring further energy and excitement into the already fired up crowd of the studio audience lucky enough to see so many big names on one night. Timberlake also performed the balladic second single, "Mir­rors," from his upcoming album, "The 20/20 Experience."

Timberlake's fifth gig as "SNL" host will undoubtedly serve as a reminder of how truly gifted he is, a perfect lead in to his upcoming "Legends of the Summer" 2013 tour with Jay- Z.

Brett Montana can be reached at Brett.mon­tana@student.shu.edu.