Task force tackles parking issue

A Parking Task Force has been created by Dean Tracy Gottlieb in order to look at creative ways to approach the parking crunch for students and employees on campus.

"I was concerned before the beginning of the semester about the ability for everyone to park on campus," Gottlieb said of why she created the task force.

While the task force does not work to expand on campus parking, it aims to creatively alleviate the issue of limited space immediately.

"What initiatives can we do to encourage people to leave their cars?" Gottlieb said.

The task force met for the first time last week and will regularly meet throughout the semester. It is led by Matt Gyble, academic support for athletes chair, who reports to Gottlieb.

According to Gottlieb, the task force encompasses all areas of the Seton Hall community including faculty, staff, disability services, facilities and students.

Past initiatives of the parking task force have included working with South Orange to acquire parking spots on South Orange Avenue.

This initiative helped alleviate the parking crunch on campus by giving public safety another place to direct drivers to park, according to Gottlieb.

She added that this was the result of brainstorming and that is why there is a parking task force.

Future initiatives the parking task force will take part includes finding price tags for software that will help commuters identify others to carpool with, Gottlieb said.

According to Gottlieb, the parking task force aims to encourage students to also utilize other methods of transportation available such as the SHUfly and bicycles.

Erin Williams can be reached at erin.williams@student.shu.edu.