Student fights off robber and flees

A Seton Hall student was robbed on Tuesday at 9 p.m. while walking on South Orange Avenue, according to a Public Safety Alert that was sent out via email to all SHU students.

The alert said that the student was approached from behind and an object was placed against his head.

According to the alert, the victim was forced to give up his possessions, so he threw his cell phone and money on the ground. A "scuffle" broke out when the victim attempted to get away from the robber.

The victim did manage to get away and ran to the Farinella Gate and reported the incident to Public Safety, the alert read.

The student described the suspect as a Black male, approximately 5 foot 7 tall, wearing a black hooded sweatshirt, according to the alert.

The alert said that the suspect was last seen fleeing behind 212 South Orange Ave. and the crime is currently under investigation by the South Orange Police Department.

"The Department of Public Safety would like to remind you that it is important to pay attention to the persons and circumstances around you to make it easier to detect and avoid hazards," the Pirate alert said. "Also, it is always safer to travel in groups both on campus and off. If the victim of a robbery, cooperate. The value of any property that you may lose in this type of crime is not worth your personal safety."

Public Safety encourages everyone to utilize the University-provided transportation and to carry a cellphone at all times. SOPD can be reached at any time at 973-763-3000 and SHU Public Safety at 973-761-9300.

Lindsay Rittenhouse can be reached at lindsay.rittenhouse@student.shu.edu.