WSOU exceeds fundraising goal at Sandy relief radiothon

89.5 FM WSOU hosted a radiothon on Nov. 30, raising $9535 to go towards Hurricane Sandy relief efforts.

"I was extremely proud of all the work my managers did for this event," Omar Ahmad, station manager, said. "They put this together in a matter of days, and dedicated themselves for 18 hours straight of broadcasting."

More than 100 listeners called in to pledge money towards the stations ef­forts. Listeners helped surpass the set goal of $8,950.

According to Programming Director, Erin O'Grady, the radiothon went be­yond their expectations.

"We just wanted to help in any way we could after Sandy hit," O'Grady said. "We had an idea to raise some money, we set our goal and went for it."

According to O'Grady, the station is in the process of readying over 100 packages to be sent out to those who gave money throughout the day. The station auctions signed items as well as gave out prize packs for different in­crements of money.

"I was amazed that so many of our listeners were willing to donate," O'Grady said. "I'm so proud of my staff and what we have ac­complished. It was so worth it in the end and we're so glad we are able to contribute some relief to the people who lost everything in the storm."

Ashley Duvall can be reached at Ashley. duvall@student.shu.edu.