Realignment hits the Big East again

The Big East lost its sixth school and the second in eight days to conference realignment on Wednesday when the ACC voted approve Louisville to join the conference in 2014, but the Big East has also added two new programs.

Louisville will join Notre Dame, Pittsburgh and Syracuse in the ACC. Rutgers announced its plan to leave for the Big Ten in 2014, and West Virginia com­peted in the Big 12 this season.

At the Big East men's basket­ball media day, Louisville head coach Rick Pitino said he thought expansion was over, and the new additions could make an impact on the conference's basketball landscape.

"I know Temple and Memphis will always be top 25 programs so they are making up for Syracuse and Pitt," Pitino said. "(They) Might not be able to replace (Syr­acuse and Pittsburgh) fans but with what happens between the lines the mission has been accom­plished."

The Big East added two schools to its conference on Tues­day with Tulane University join­ing in all sports and East Carolina joining the conference as a foot­ball only member. Both will join the conference in 2014.

Tulane University will add its 16 athletic programs, competing against Seton Hall in men's and women's basketball, women's tennis, men's and women's cross country, women's golf, women's swimming and diving, volleyball and baseball.

"I am pleased and excited to welcome Tulane University to the Big East Conference," Big East Commission Mike Aresco said in a statement. "Tulane University is an outstanding academic insti­tution and is committed to excel­lence in athletics. They will be a valued member of the Big East."

Tulane joins UCF, Houston, Memphis, SMU, and Temple as full members.

East Carolina will become the fourth football-only member, joining Boise State, San Diego State and the Naval Academy. Navy will play football in the Big East beginning in the 2015 sea­son.

T.J. Brennan can be reached at thomas.brennan@student.shu.edu.