Newest 'Idol' album shows promise in sales

American Idol season 11 winner Phil­lip Phillips' debut album "World From the Side of the Moon" was released on Nov. 11 and is expected to be a success.

The Georgia native offers heartfelt lyrics and acoustics in his debut album and many might agree that Phillips definitely has the talent to reach the same success levels as former Idol winners Carrie Underwood and Kelly Clarkson. According to a USA Today article, Phillips' single 'Home' is "the most successful first single from an Idol act."

With the success from his first single, Phillips had a lot to live up to with the rest of the album; and he delivered. The album is filled with promising hits like the upbeat tracks "Gone, Gone, Gone" and "Drive Me."

There is something comforting and al­luring about Phillips' voice mixed with the intense acoustics throughout the album. While his soulful sound may be somewhat reminiscent of John Mayer and the Dave Matthews Band, it is undeniably unique.

While Phillips' talent obviously con­tributes greatly to his success, his abil­ity to connect with his audience further emphasizes people's love for him. His single "Home" was featured on commer­cials airing during this summer's Olympic games in London and fared well because fans were able to relate to the lyrics. What sets him apart from other artists is that he is able to reach fans beyond simple love songs; he offers deeper lyrics and mean­ingful messages.

Overall, "World From the Side of the Moon" is a solid first album. Judging by the short-lived success of some other Idol contestants juxtaposed with world-domi­nating artists, it will be interesting to see what the success of this album will deter­mine in terms of Phillips' longevity on the music scene.

Phillips' debut album is now available in stores and on iTunes.

The Setonian gave this album 5 out of 5 stars

Shaniel Champagne can be reached at shaniel.champagne@student.shu.edu.