Fun festive trips for a college budget

The holiday season is finally here and luckily Seton Hall Univer­sity's campus is extremely close to New York City, the 'Christ­mas capitol' of the world. While many may associate NYC with high prices, it is actually possible to take part in holiday fun on a college size budget, thanks to free attractions that can make great holiday memories without spending a dime.

For anyone who has never spent the holiday season in the metro area, visiting the Christmas tree at Rockefeller Center is a must. The iconic symbol of Christmas is just a subway ride away from Penn Station in Manhattan. The best part is that it is totally free of charge to feast your eyes on the most spectacular Christmas tree the world has to offer. It can be seen with its lights starting on Nov. 28 all the way through De­cember.

Ice-skating outdoors is a great way to enjoy the holidays with friends while getting some fresh air, and luckily they are plenty of places to skate around this December But, if you are strapped for cash the rink at NYC's Bryant Park is the best place to show off your moves. Skating is free as long as you bring your own pair of skates; otherwise rentals cost $14.

A short trip to the city will bring you to free holiday-themed events in Central Park this December as well. On Dec. 2, the annual Holiday Lighting Event will take place at the Charles A. Dana Discovery Center on the north side of the park, complete with free cookies, hot choco­late, caroling, live ice sculpture carvings and a visit from Santa Claus, who will be available for pictures. On Dec. 21, a free Winter Solstice stargazing experience at Belvedere Castle will be held with the help of urban park rangers' expertise and the use of a city-owned telescope.

Holiday-themed art performances are plentiful this season at the Win­ter Garden in the World Financial Center downtown, where plays like "The Nutcracker" and "A Christmas Carol" are performed for free.

Don't let your college budget get in the way of embracing the holi­days this year. With a variety of free events only a train ride away, there is no excuse not to have a fun filled December.

Brett Montana can be reached at brett.montana@student.shu.edu.