Seton Hall loses to Washington in overtime

Despite erasing an 18-point second half deficit, the men's basketball team lost its first game of the season on Saturday night,84-73, to the Washington Huskies at the Mohegan Sun Arena in Uncasville, Conn.

The Hall (2-1) only scored two points in the overtime period, as Washington scored 13. Senior Scott Suggs, who was questionable leading up to the game, drained a 3-pointer with 1:15 left in the game, which was the dagger for the Pirates.

The Pirates tied the game in regulation on a 3-pointer from graduate guard Kyle Smyth with 9:13 remaining in the half, with the comeback led by junior Fuquan Edwin.

Edwin scored 10 of their first 13 points in the second half, and scored 20 of his 27 points in the second half and overtime.

With the clock ticking down and the game tied, junior forward Patrik Auda missed a 3-point shot that would have won the game. Auda missed all 3-pointers he took.

According to head coach Kevin Willard, the team's first half hiccups ended up costing the team in the end.

"We kinda got shell-shocked early and didn't recover from that," Willard said.

The Pirates scored the first five points of the game, but allowed Washington to score the next 17 points. Junior guard Brian Oliver ended the run with back-to-back 3-pointers after Willard took his second timeout of the half.

Before the Washington run, sophomore forward Brandon Mobley came up limping after hitting the floor on his way down from jumping for a rebound. Willard said that Mobley hyperextended his left knee on the play, which may have caused a bone bruise.

"Brandon's gunna be out for a while," Willard said. "Luckily it looks like everything is pretty solid. He does have to get an MRI."

Willard did not say how long Mobley will be out.

Mobley attempted to come back into the game, but was taken out after limping up and down the court twice. He went back to the locker room and later came back to the bench on crutches.

The loss of Mobley, who averaged 10 rebounds per game in the first two games, hurt the Pirates defensively as they allowed 13 second-chance points.

"Losing Brandon kinda deflated us a little bit," Willard said. "Just because he was playing real well, he's a big key for us."

Edwin echoed Willard's statement, but said he has faith in his team to come together after the injury to Mobley.

"It's gunna be pretty tough, but I believe in my teammates," Edwin said. "Guys on the team have to step up."

Edwin said coming back by 18 points in the second half was a growing moment for the young team.

"We're a young team," Edwin said. "And we'll learn from it."

The size of Washington caught up with the Pirates toward the end of the game. The losses of center Eugene Teague to foul trouble and Mobley to injury, hurt the Pirates in the post. Washington outrebounded the Hall 37-29.

During the first half, the Pirates struggled to take care of the ball as they turned it over 11 times, which led to 19 points for the Huskies.

3-pointers kept the Pirates in the game, as they shot 12-23 and held Washington to 6-17 shooting from beyond the arc.

The downfall of the Pirates was the 1-6 shooting in overtime, which included shooting 0-3 from beyond the arc.

The Pirates will play a consolation game at 7 p.m. Sunday against the University of Rhode Island at the 2012 Hall of Fame Tip-Off at the Mohegan Sun Arena.

T.J. Brennan can be reached at thomas.brennan@student.shu.edu.