SGA goal to increase presence on campus

At the Student Government Association general session on Monday night, members discussed how best to move the organization forward and to develop its individual com­mittees.

During the two-hour meeting, the SGA representatives discussed ways in which the organization could increase its presence on campus.

"We want to focus primarily on raising the student body's involvement in the SGA," SGA President Joe Donato said. "We are going to focus on on-campus outreach, so­cial media and our relationship with student clubs and organizations."

Senators stressed relationships between the various SGA committees, a matter made all the more important with the recent swear­ing in of three new freshman senators.

"Our committees need to develop stron­ger relationships with their members, es­pecially with the newly installed freshmen senators," Donato said.

The representatives also discussed plans to begin posting daily updates to both the SGA's Facebook and Twitter pages in order to reach out to the student body.

Senators also addressed the concerns of students with regards to the management of the cafeteria.

"I will be meeting with representa­tives from GDS to further develop plans to expand dining options and reform the guest swiping policy," Donato said.

Other topics covered at the meeting included issues raised by the university community during the last academic year, including extension of the library's hours.

Also discussed was the resumption of the Collegiate Readership program, which would bring free newspapers to the student body throughout the year.

Donato also encouraged all those in attendance to attend the SGA's town hall meeting, which will be held sometime in early December.

"This is an excellent opportunity for all students to have their voices heard," he said.

Finally, the SGA voted to move the regularly scheduled general session meetings to every Monday at 6 p.m. due to scheduling conflicts.

Joseph Gorgan can be reached at joseph.gorgan@student.shu.edu