Black Friday clouds the meaning of Thanksgiving

With Thanksgiving exactly a week away, many students are excited for break. Not only do they see Thanksgiving as a time away from classwork but also as a time to spend with family and close friends at home.

Good food, good conversations and lot of laughs accompany Thanksgiving.

Thanksgiving is also a time of reflection. It is a time to think about the past year and the things that each of us are blessed to have. Whether big or small, everyone has something to be thankful for.

However, more and more each year, Black Fri­day is clouding the meaning of Thanksgiving. Every year it seems that sales are starting ear­lier, causing many to begin camping out at stores even earlier.

Some stores do not even wait until the day after

Thanksgiving to start sales; many are open and of­fering sales on Thursday, the day that is meant for family. Some even skip the traditional family din­ner in order to be the first in line at retail stores to get the latest gadgets.

Individuals trample over each other and fight with one another just to get to discounted items.

Is this really what the holiday season is about? Is consumerism really more important than time spend with family?

Do not take this the wrong way, there is nothing wrong with shopping on Black Friday. However, as we start off this holiday season, let us all strive to remember the meaning behind the holiday that we are celebrating and the importance of family and giving back during the holiday season.

With that, Seton Hall community, have a happy and safe Thanksgiving!