Calvin Harris' album appeals across variety of genres

Fans of electronic dance music will find love in Calvin Harris's new album 18 Months, which pairs Harris's funky synth beats with a wide variety of impressive artist collaborations.

The album, which was released on iTunes on Oct. 30, is the Scottish DJ and producer's third solo project. While his name may not be as recognizable as his music, many tracks in Harris's album have been featured on the radio and have won many awards.

According to Billboard's Hot 100, Rihanna's "We Found Love" topped the charts for more than nine weeks, while "Feels so Close" won MTV VMA's "Best EDM Video award."

Other popular dance songs include "Bounce," featuring Kelis, "Let's Go," featuring Ne-Yo and "Feels so Close."

Despite the generally positive feedback the album has received, the main problem with 18 Months is Harris's repetitive transitions in between songs. His first track "Green Valley" does not set the appropriate mood for the album, offering the same beat for nearly two minutes, with little variance.

Other disappointments include "Mansion" and "Awooga." He attempts to create cohesion in the album by incorporating these one to two minute transitions, when they are unnecessary additions.

If listeners can get past the monotonous opening, the number of collaborations in the album will pleasantly surprise them, giving listeners the variation they need.

Harris explores new and different genres, collaborating with indie artists Ellie Goulding and Florence Welch of Florence and the Machine. Goulding's "I Need Your Love" is fast-paced and catchy, while Welch's unusual voice blends seamlessly with Harris's beats. While they are less likely to be played in the club, I think these songs are the most interesting of the album.

Rap fans will enjoy Harris's collaborations with Tinie Tempah in "Drinking From the Bottle" and English rapper Dizzee Rascal. These tracks show that Harris can successfully transition from electronic dance music to hip-hop.

Harris even collaborates with DJ Nicky Romero in "Iron," one of the few singles that is not successful solely because of the singer.

Despite the redundant transitions, Calvin Harris's new album 18 Months showcases his ability to produce many types of music, successfully melding together a variety of musical genres to appeal to nearly any listener.

The Setonian gives this album 3.5 out of 5 stars.

Melissa Murray can be reached at Melissa.murray@student.shu.edu.