Holiday blockbusters on the horizon

Movie enthusiasts have much to be excited for in the coming months with dozens of films scheduled to release this fall and winter. Hollywood is providing quite the selection of dramas, action-thrillers and animated films for viewer enjoyment.

One of the most anticipated movies to debut this season is "Skyfall," the latest "James Bond" installment. Daniel Craig is back in his third performance as Agent 007, complete with futuristic gadgets, sleek cars, intense fight scenes and yes, Bond girls. The spy-thriller will be in theaters Nov. 9 and is sure to make waves at the box office.

Sophomore Tom Davies, who is a huge Bond movie fan, said, "Daniel Craig is one of the best 007s there has been and Skyfall looks like the most intense of his Bond movies yet."

Also in theaters Nov. 9 is the star-studded biographical drama "Lincoln." Directed by Academy Award winner Steven Spielberg, the film stars Daniel Day-Lewis as President Lincoln and centers around the President's Emancipation Proclamation during the bloody days of the Civil War. "Lincoln" is already a favorite for Best Picture at the Oscars in January.

There is good news for fans of "The Lord of The Rings" trilogy as the first of three prequels to the epic series titled "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" makes its way to theaters on Dec. 14 from Director Peter Jackson. Ian McKellen returns to his role as Gandalf in the film adaptations of J.R.R. Tolkien's sci-fi series, joined by new faces Evangeline Lily and Martin Freeman.

"I'm a big fan of the LOTR trilogy," junior Allison Conklin said. "I have even read all the books, so I'm really looking forward to seeing the prequel."

Conklin added that seeing different sides of familiar characters would be interesting.

For those seeking an animated adventure, look no further than Dreamwork's "Rise of the Guardians," a story of fairy tale creatures like Jack Frost, Santa and the Tooth Fairy teaming up against an evil presence attacking earth's children. Jude Law, Isla Fischer and Chris Pine star in the film which debuts on Nov. 21.

Any trip to the movies in the coming months is likely to be an enjoyable one with all of the impressive films set to debut. These box office hits will certainly help students get through the chilly, dark days of winter.

Brett Montana can be reached at brett.montana@student.shu.edu.