Volleyball drops 5-set match in Connecticut

The volleyball team lost 3-2 in Connecticut after forcing the Huskies into a fifth set on Sunday afternoon.

The Huskies (16-10, 7-4 BIG EAST) won their fourth consecutive match by defeating the Pirates who fell to 17-7 (5-6 BIG EAST). Seton Hall, coming off a loss on Friday to St. John's University, relinquished sole possession of fifth place in the Big East Conference to Connecticut after the loss.

Despite the Pirates' 17-8 lead, the Huskies battled back and took the first set of the match by a score of 28-26. The second set was just as competitive as the score went back and forth until the Hall managed to win the final two points to win 25-23.

The third and fourth sets went in a similar fashion as the Huskies took the third 25-22, and the Pirates won the fourth 25-23. The final set went in favor of the Huskies by a score of 15-11. Senior Mattison Quayle led her team to victory by recording 3 kills in the final four points. Quayle totaled 16 kills and 20 digs on the day.

Sophomore Stacey Manthorpe recorded a double-double with 16 kills and 15 digs while also tallying 9 blocks for the Pirates. Senior Morgan DeVries also finished with 16 kills.

It was an impressive performance by freshman Marissa Prinzbach, who finished with a career-high 58 assists for Connecticut. Sophomore Shelbey Manthorpe had a team-high 43 assists while posting 24 digs for Seton Hall. Junior Alyssa Warren also recorded a match-best and BIG EAST season-high 42 digs for the Pirates.

Freshman Kayla Kohler had a career-high nine kills for the Pirates.

Seton Hall will host Notre Dame on Nov. 3, followed by DePaul on Nov. 4. Both games are scheduled to start at 2 p.m.

Mike Romano can be reached at Michael.Romano1@student.shu.edu.