WSOU featured on mtvU

MtvU recently featured WSOU on its College Radio Countdown.

Being recognized by a major music television channel broadcast to more than 750 campuses came as no surprise to station general manager Mark Maben.

"Given our national profile and influence within college radio and the music industry, it is not surprising that we would catch mtvU's attention," he said.

Throughout its 58-year history and 25 years as a metal station, WSOU has brought attention to the University. Started in 1948 in the basement of the Richie Regan Recreation and Athletic Center, WSOU is one of the few student- run radio stations in the country.

Maben said that the exposure Seton Hall gets from WSOU adds to the importance of the feature on mtvU.

"This exposure is really helpful to Seton Hall, as well as WSOU," Maben said. "We know from experience that whenever WSOU is mentioned in a national publication, featured on a well trafficked website or receives an award, it leads to inquiries by prospective students and raises awareness of Seton Hall. That's good for everyone in our community."

Maben said he credits the work the students at WSOU do as a reason that mtvU was interested in featuring the station.

"Our students work hard to operate WSOU on a professional level, and when you're doing good work it gets noticed," he said.

Station manager Omar Ahmad said that this is a unique opportunity for a college radio.

"I think it's totally awesome that WSOU is being featured in the national spotlight for something like this; not every university gets the attention Seton Hall gets because of their college station," he said.

Both Maben and Ahmad said they credit music director Deeps Gera as instrumental in getting WSOU featured on mtvU.

According to Gera, mtvU reached out to the radio station and asked them to submit to their countdown.

Gera said that while they are not the first university to be featured by mtvU, WSOU is the only metal radio station highlighted.

The feature on mtvU was a countdown of music videos selected by the WSOU staff to reflect the sound of the radio station and metal scene, according to Gera.

The production of the original introduction video made for the countdown was a collaborative effort of the entire WSOU staff, Maben said.

Maben said the countdown was put together by radio managers and staff and he is very proud of how it all came together.

"I am very proud of how well the student managers and others worked together to make this a reality," Maben said. "This is an achievement that everyone in the University community can be proud of."

Caroline Schwartz can be reached at caroline.schwartz@ student.shu.edu.