Aspiring Kindness continues yearly fundraising with Halloween event

A Halloween fundraiser will be hosted by the Aspiring Kindness Foundation in New York City on Oct. 27.

Proceeds from the event will benefit the foundation and aid them in reaching their goal of raising $50,000 for St. Barnabas Medical Center.

The foundation is hosting an open bar at The Speakeasy Room in the Gin Mill, located at 442 Amsterdam Ave. in New York.

The event is $50 per person and lasts from 7:30 p.m. to 10:30 p.m.

All guests are invited to join Aspiring Kindness, in costume. A $50 prize will be awarded for the best costume.

Aspiring Kindness also will use a portion of that money to aid fire presentation in schools, and to help with the purchase of fire department equipment such as fire hoses and ladders.

The Aspiring Kindness Foundation was inspired by the death of Seton Hall student Aaron Karol during the January 2000 fire in Boland Hall, according to founder Mike Merizio.

The Foundation is geared to raise awareness of fire safety by providing many resources to local hospitals and clinics, he said.

The Foundation hosts many different fundraising events appropriate for all members of the South Orange community, including Seton Hall students, to participate in, including bike marathons, and the annual free health fair in South Orange.

The Foundation's fundraising efforts benefit "fire departments/ EMTs/ambulatory services, hospital burn units, as well as the Aaron Karol memorial scholarship," Merizio said.

After losing a dear friend, Merizio and a few others said that fire safety was an important, under-addressed issue on college campuses as it puts many people's lives in danger.

"If the proper education and tools are in place, these types of tragedies will never happen again," Merizio said.

Aspiring Kindness has made a huge difference in the community since starting, according to Merizio.

Some of their donations included $10,000 to the William Randolph Hearst Burn Center of New York Presbyterian Hospital to benefit patient care, burn center facilities, and clinical programs.

The Foundation also donated $1,000 to The Blood Center of NJ.

Additionally, the Foundation was able to donate a laptop, portable projector, an 80" inch screen and all the accessories needed to teach fire safety and prevention classes for use by the South Orange Fire Department, according to Merizio.

The Foundation encourages Seton Hall students to participate and be involved with fire safety.

Information about upcoming events, ways to get involved, and donating to the foundation can be found at http://aspiringkindness.org

Patrick Maroun can be reached at patrick.maroun@ student.shu.edu.