Red' is huge hit for Swift

Fans of country crooner Taylor Swift have been anxiously await­ing the release of her fourth album since she announced the title in early August.

"Red" released on Oct. 22 and shot almost immediately to the top position on the iTunes chart; not coming as much of surprise seeing as her last album, "Fear­less," spent multiple weeks at No. 1.

Swift has been criticized re­cently about her lack of country sounds and the increasing amount of pop-influences found in her songs. "Red" is definitely much more pop than her past albums, featuring songs that rely on fast melodies, dub step beats and catchy vocals: but that is not nec­essarily a bad thing.

Her first single, "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together" is an anthem about an ex-relationship, something that Swift is very open about. While one may not imme­diately associate the song with a true country artist, the roots of telling a good story and singing with feeling are definitely there.

"Red's" title track is one that doesn't immediately lean toward the country genre, but is extreme­ly catchy and has the potential to become a successful single in the future.

"Stay Stay Stay" and "22" are, however, definitely the most country-influenced on the album. Upon first listen, the songs have the potential to be a little bit over-the-top.

But in true Taylor Swift fash­ion, there is something about the tunes that immediately embed themselves in one's mind causing a natural desire to turn up the vol­ume and sing along.

"Red" also features two collabo­rations, "The Last Time" featuring Gary Lightbody from Snow Patrol and "Everything Has Changed" featuring Ed Sheeran. The songs are prime examples of Swift's song writing abilities, with lyrics that are both haunting and accu­rate and melodies that send chills down listeners' spines.

"Starlight," a song on the album that is potentially written about Ethel Kennedy, Swift's rumored boyfriend Conor Kennedy's grandmother is another must-listen. The feel-good track is not overly country but still stays true to Swift's original genre while the fun melody makes it perfect to get one excited.

The saying "there's a Taylor Swift song for that" proves true in "Red." Whether one is looking to listen to a fun song with friends or craving a heart-wrenching ballad, this album has it all.

The Setonian gave this album 4.5 out of 5 stars.

Alexandra D'Aluisio can be reached at Alexandra.Daluisio@student.shu.edu