New Walsh Gallery exhibit explores SHU baseball history

Curated by Corene Linville and Greg Ferrara, Walsh Gallery's latest exhibit titled "Play Ball!" definitely hits a home run.

"Play Ball!" highlights the relationship between Seton Hall University and baseball history in the New Jersey and New York areas. The exhibit features many artifacts, most of which are normally housed in the Monsignor William No?© Field University Archives and Special Collections Center also in Walsh.

The exhibit opened on Tuesday, Oct. 23 and focuses on baseball greats like Yogi Berra, Craig Biggio and Derek Jeter, as well as the players and teams that inspired 100 years of Seton Hall baseball. In fact, Biggio is one of the favored men of the gallery and a watercolor of him by James Fiorentino is featured on the event's card. Biggio's special feature is justified because he is a former player for the SHU 1987 baseball team.

Rick Cerone, another former SHU baseball player from 1975, also has a watercolor done by Fiorentino. The painting is Ferrara's favorite because he enjoys the history behind it.

Cerone was born in Newark and after his time at Seton Hall he became a catcher in the Major Leagues where he played for well-known teams such as the New York Yankees, New York Mets, Atlanta Braves and Boston Red Sox.

"It is really cool that after all he accomplished Cerone brought the Newark Bears back to Newark in 1998," Ferrara said. "That was where he was born and he wanted everyone from his hometown to have the opportunity to experience baseball like he did."

Another Fiorentino watercolor titled "Legends of the Negro Leagues" is Linville's favorite. This work shows the Negro League baseball players who have been installed in the National Baseball Hall of Fame.

"I am just really happy with the way the gallery turned out," she said. "I am thankful for all Ed Lucas has done."

Original works and prints of select art are available for purchase and the proceeds benefit the Ed and Allison Lucas Scholarship Foundation, which supports Seton Hall students with disabilities. Ed Lucas is a 1958 Seton Hall alum.

"Play Ball!" is open until Dec. 7 and is definitely a must-see. Even if you are not a baseball fan you there are some very interesting pieces of Seton Hall baseball history such as an old Owen T. Carroll Field marker.

Catherine Chidiac can be reached at catherine.chidiac@student.shu.edu.