Pirates set for Rutgers

The volleyball team will face Big East rival Rutgers at 5 p.m. Friday while supporting breast cancer research through the Side- Out Foundation.

Junior libero Alyssa Warren said that ending the losing streak has provided the team some relief going into the week, but that does not mean they are completely relaxed.

"We still can't take any team lightly," Warren said. "We still have to play well. The Big East tournament isn't guaranteed to everyone or anyone, especially this year."

The Pirates hold a record of 16-5 with a 4-4 Big East record. Rutgers is currently 16-7 on the season and 2-6 in conference after suffering a five-set loss to Big East leader Marquette on Oct. 14.

"Rutgers keeps fighting and fighting and even though they don't have many Big East wins, they don't care," head coach Allison Yaeger said. "They are good, just like everyone in the Big East is good and Rutgers is definitely one of those teams."

Both teams have a setter who was put on Big East Weekly Honor Roll for the week. Sophomore Shelbey Manthorpe was given the honor for the fourth week in a row after recording double-doubles in the Pirates last two matches.

"(Manthorpe) has gotten Big East Honor Roll the last four weeks," Yaeger said. "She is very consistent, probably the most consistent on our team and I'd say one of the most consistent players in the Big East."

For Rutgers, senior Stephanie Zielinski also earned Big East Honor Roll recognition this week amounting to three times on the season. Zielinksi has notched 17 double-doubles as well as over 1,000 assists.

Rutgers holds the advantage over Seton Hall with an all-time series record of 12-16. Last year, the Pirates were swept on the road against Rutgers.

"It's always interesting playing Rutgers, regardless of talent level of either team," Warren said. There will be baked goods and a 50/50 raffle sold during the game in which all proceeds go to the Side-Out Foundation.

Stephanie Vedral can be reached at stephanie.vedral@student.shu.edu.