It is never too early to start preparing for the holidays

According to my count­down, there are 67 days until Christmas. Aren't you ex­cited?

Department stores sure are. Typically at this time of year stores begin to put out their Christmas items.

In most instances it starts with a small aisle, but in stores such as Wal-Mart, their garden center has already been converted.

People this time of year gen­erally complain that Christmas preparation comes too early and that stores are forcing the holidays upon us earlier each year. While that might in part be true, I really do not see the issue. In fact, I wel­come it.

I think what gets people's tinsel in a tangle over Christmas' early arrival in stores each year is that they are see­ing Christmas all wrong.

When stores put out their holiday items, it reminds people of all the shopping they have to do during the season and all of the money that they are going to spend. In turn, it makes people a little "claustro­phobic." I do not mean to be cli­ch?©, but let me quote the Grinch, "Maybe Christmas doesn't come from a store. Maybe Christmas perhaps, means a little bit more."

It might seem a little early for a Christmas column, but I am sick of hearing all the complaints.

This is my favorite time of year, including Halloween and Thanks­giving.

Just because stores are putting out their Christmas items does not mean we are overlooking any holidays or that we even have to begin shopping right this minute. To me, it is just a happy notice of what is to come.

There is so much to look for­ward to once October begins that I do not mind a little reminder from iTunes that I should preorder my new Christmas albums or the little nudge from Hallmark to buy my Christmas cards early.

If nothing else, it is a nice re­minder that the semester will soon be over

The point is, do not be a scrooge at the sight of Christmas yet to come. Rather embrace the thought of it.

Let us face it, there is no use in crying over spilt eggnog.

Ashley Duvall is a junior public relations major from Vernon, NJ. She can be reached at ashley.duvall@student.shu.edu.