CMJ offers chance for aspiring artists

In an age where in­stant fame stands in lieu of sweaty perseverance, laptops replace concert seats and free live music is a mouse click away, The College Music Journal breathes fresh air on the face of the 21st century music industry.

For five long endorphin-stimulating sunrises and sunsets the College Music Journal will host its 32nd music marathon in New York City from Oct. 16th to Oct. 20.

From Brooklyn to Man­hattan, over 1300 musi­cians will take the stage at over 80 different venues and dance clubs, offering one of the biggest podiums for artists and bands to dis­play their talent.

Extending from musi­cal parameters of experi­mental art noise, stripped down spartan punk, big brassy jazz and everything in between.The CMJ mu­sic festival shows the Big Apple how live music should sound. This is the exact festival that lit the flame under U2 and Lady Gaga's careers. This year's headliners include Kimbra, The Mountain Goats, The Walkmen and a myriad of prospective stars on the rise.

Aloft all the fame and glamour, CMJ proves there is still a heart left in the music business. Demon­strating it isn't just about money, fame or popularity. It's about respecting the soul of music, and doing what musicians love. And beyond all, it's a monu­mental pillar to the aficio­nados' of live music.

Not only is the marathon a luminous glimpse of tal­ent from around the world, it also includes a profes­sional haven for aspiring media, music management and advertisement. Offer­ing college students day-long seminars, panels, Q & A's and the chance to work with experienced mentors offering advice on how to break into the music busi­ness.

The CMJ headquarters, located at the NYU cam­pus in Green which Village, offers a variety of admis­sion options. Full admis­sion badges offer access to venue's, mixers, meet and greets, special events and aforementioned ca­reer advice, while show badges allow access to just the concert portion of the marathon. They've also in­cluded a college discount. Check out the official CMJ website for more informa­tion about badges and a de­tailed schedule of events.

For attending badge holders, it is highly rec­ommended to arrive early to each specific event, as admittance is offered on a first come first serve basis.

Benjamin Rader can be reached at benjamin.rader@ student.shu.edu.