"Chicago Fire" burns out

NBC's newest drama "Chicago Fire" premiered on Oct. 10 at 10 p.m., following its popular prede­cessor "Law & Order: SVU." The two shows not only share a net­work and a weeknight, but also an executive producer: Dick Wolf.

With Wolf as the show's back­bone, it is no surprise that the premiere episode was filled with intensity, anxiety and of course, drama.

"Fire" goes inside the lives of the firemen and Rescue Squad workers of Chicago Firehouse 51. Like any other primetime drama, the pilot episode begins with a death and focuses on the subsequent tension between Lt. Matthew Casey of the Truck and Lt. Kelly Severide of the Rescue Squad.

Despite the immediate drama that possibly was included to in­crease audience interest, it seemed that the directors forgot that this was in fact people's first time watching the show. Before names were fully established, someone had died, making the episode's early climax confusing and easily forgotten.

As the episode progressed, simi­larities to popular medical dra­mas such as "House" and "Grey's Anatomy" were hard to avoid. No matter how routine the situa­tion was, something always went wrong.

While the high-intensity sto­rylines, such as a young girl who needed to have blood drained off of her heart after an accident, were definitely enticing, the fact of the matter is: we have seen these sto­ries before.

Clearly the paramedic didn't have the proper tools to perform the procedure and yet she put all hesitations behind her and tried to save the little girl. Over-exagger­ation of characters' reactions was evident and instead of making the audience empathize with them it was off-putting and unrealistic.

While it will probably not bring home any Emmy Awards or com­pletely change your life, it is an hour of a soap opera-like enter­tainment that most can't help but admit loving.

The Setonian gives this show 2 out of 5 stars.

Alexandra D'Aluisio can be reached at Alexandra.daluisio@ student.shu.edu.