Volleyball ends losing streak

The volleyball team ended their losing streak at four games after a 3-1 (22-25, 25-22, 25-21, 25-16) win over Syracuse on Sunday.

The Pirates (16-5, 4-4) bounced back from Saturday's five-set loss to Marquette to even their record in conference play. Seton Hall was lead by freshman Amanda Hansen who hit .550 and added 13 kills. Sophomore Stacey Manthorpe lead all players with 17 kills and sophomore Simona Sekulova added 11 kills while playing on an injured leg.

Head coach Allison Yaeger said she has been pleased with her team's ability to overcome injuries.

"It's tough, were banged up," Yaeger said. "But were winning the games we have to win.We stay focused and work hard, and we have kids that are fighters on this team."

The Hall's first set comeback effort came just short. The two teams played a closely contested set, swapping the lead four times. Syracuse jumped out to an early 7-4 lead, but the Pirates were able to tie the score at seven. The Pirates took the lead at 17-16 after a Hansen kill, but Syracuse was able to come back and grab the set win 25-22.

In the second set the score was tied early, but the Hall was able to go on a 4-0 run and get a comfortable 9-4 lead. Syracuse was able to tie the score but Manthorpe's four kills helped the Pirates win the set 25-22.

The Pirates took a 2-1 lead after winning the third set 25-21. Manthorpe and senior Kalie Marshall each had two aces in the set. The Pirates got an early lead and did not fall behind once. Syracuse was able to tie the score twice, but it was not enough to take the set.

In the fourth set, the Pirates would go on an early 5-0 run and carry the lead all the way to the end of the match. Manthorpe added another five kills and Seton Hall took the match set 25-16. Manthorpe said there was an emphasis on getting a lot of power in her hits.

"That's usually our problem," Manthorpe said. "We had some trouble in the first two sets. We kept working and the kills started to come in the third and fourth set."

Yaeger said she had spoken to her team about the importance of passing in a match against a team like Syracuse.

"Our passing was OK in the first set," Yaeger said. "But it got better and we were able to set and distribute our passes where they needed to go."

The Pirates will face rival Rutgers at 5 p.m. at home on Friday.

Gerard Gilberto can be reached at Gerard.Gilberto@student.shu.edu