Perks' movie resonates with fans

The off kilter comedy-drama "The Perks of Being a Wallflow­er," from the book of the same name, debuted in theatres Oct. 5 and is leaving audiences in awe as it charmingly harks back to the emotional rollercoaster that is high school.

The film, which stars Logan Lerman, Ezra Miller and Emma Watson, explores the adversity that self-described outcasts face while trying to find themselves as they transition into young adults. More importantly, "Perks" delves into dark themes of sexual identi­ty, adolescent suicide, child abuse and how the characters try to cope with each.

As incoming freshman Charlie (Lerman) struggles to fit in and keep his head from spinning after a stay at a psychiatric center, he befriends two seniors, Sam and Patrick (Watson and Miller) who share the same lack of belonging, but together the trio tries to find acceptance with each other.

"Perks" is perfectly compli­mented by melancholy music from the likes of The Smiths and David Bowie, both of whom make multiple appearances. The music of the film helps to drive the storyline as the wallflowers start to express their emotions through the music they choose to listen to.

The allure of this coming-of-age film is that it reminds us of ourselves in our teenage years, and how absolutely terrifying the thought of growing up can be.

"Perks" will make you crack up laughing one minute and the next will leave you choked up: a qual­ity that is sure to keep movie go­ers entertained. For anyone who enjoys a few goose bumps, "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" is a must see.

The Setonian gave this movie 5 out of 5 stars.

Brett Montana can be reached at brett.montana@student.shu.edu.