Volleyball loses third straight

The volleyball team came up short in Cincinnati on Sunday suffering their third straight loss of their current road trip.

The match was decided in the fifth set as the Pirates failed to close the match after going up two sets to one.

Despite the losing effort, sophomore Shelbey Manthorpe recorded her third straight triple-double totaling 14 kills, 32 assists and 23 digs. This was Manthorpe's sixth triple-double of the season.

Seton Hall sophomores Simona Sekulova and Stacey Manthorpe finished with 13 and 12 kills respectively. Senior Olivia Trudeau had 20 assists for the Pirates.

After the loss, the Pirates fall to 15-4 on the season and 3-3 in Big East play. The match proved to be a game of momentum when the Bearcats (6-13, 4-2 BIG EAST) scored five straight points to go ahead 15-10 in the first set, and they went on to win the set by the same margin.

Seton Hall responded by winning the second and third sets attributed to runs of 8-2 and 7-2, respectively. The Bearcats tied the match at 2 sets a piece after a 9-2 run in the fourth set allowed them to cruise to a 25-15 victory.

The final set consisted of six early ties, but Cincinnati, despite last-minute efforts by Seton Hall, took a promising lead and went on to win 15-13. Jordanne Scott finished with 21 kills and her teammate Rachel Rohlfs recorded a match-high 47 assists for Cincinnati.

The Pirates look to bounce back from a rough road trip when they host Marquette at 2p.m. next Saturday.

Mike Romano can be reached at Michael.Romano1@student.shu.edu