SNL political skits prove priceless

The 38th season of NBC's highly regarded show, "Saturday Night Live," officially aired on Sept. 15, 2012. Despite the loss of two key performers, Kristen Wiig and Andy Samberg, the show is predicted to leave the viewer gasping for air from laughter.

It was heavily rumored that Ja­son Sudeikis would be following his fellow veterans, but after tot­tering on the brinks of departure he decided to stay for at least a portion of the 38th season.

After hiring three new cast members, Cecily Strong, Aidy Bryant and Tim Robinson, fans have been skeptical. The question whether or not they could stand up to past cast members was the main concern.

But, as the season progresses, fans are assured that there is noth­ing to fear, not only does it stand up; it leaps over its predecessors, presenting the viewer with per­haps one of the best seasons.

In typical election year fashion, the show brings back their Week­end Update Thursday 30-minute special, duplicating a political news show as a spoof. These are shown in between the hour long late night specials airing every other Thursday at 8 p.m.

This season aired a week earlier than past seasons, as the show's creators Lorne Michaels and Dick Ebersol couldn't wait to get their hands dirty with all the po­litical controversies, leaving no politician safe from the satire. It has been clearly show that they are armed with enough political ammo for far more than a season.

The live shows begin in their typical cold-open sketch platform, following with a variety of skits and spin-offs that are bursting with sidesplitting wit. In fact, it is recommended to watch the show in five-minute intervals, as to en­sure no viewer literally busts his or her gut.

The sometimes overtly slapstick humor and the outdated simplistic punch lines, the show is extreme­ly well put together. Watching the silky smooth sequences, the awkwardness of a live airing is completely forgotten. The micro­phones are synced perfectly, the acting is top notch and the writing is charming. Some imitations on the Weekend Update portion of the show are eerily convincing.

So far, the show has starred guest hosts Seth MacFarlane, Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Daniel Craig with star musical performances such as Frank Ocean, Mumford and Sons and Muse.

The show's director Don Roy King has secured an amazing season fans won't want to miss. Throw away those rotten toma­toes, put the crickets on mute and tune into a sublime season of "Saturday Night Live."

The Setonian give this show 5 out of 5 stars

Benjamin Rader can be reached at benjamin.rader@student.shu. edu.