Pirates search for offense

The women's soccer team will start a four-game conference road trip this weekend, beginning with a match at Syracuse at 7 p.m. on Friday and St. John's University at 1 p.m. on Sunday.

The Pirates (6-6, 1-3 Big East) will be looking for offense this weekend, as they were outscored 14-2 in their last five matches. Eight of those goals came in the game at Georgetown on Sept. 14.

Both goals for the Pirates came off the foot of redshirt senior Stephanie Soma in their 2-0 win against Villanova on Sept. 16.

Soma, who recently was named to the Big East Conference Weekly Honor Roll on Sept. 17 for her two goals against the Wildcats, said the team's wins have to do with how well the team plays together.

"The games we did win we had a lot of chemistry on the field," Soma said. "The last few games I think we weren't as com- pact, so we made space for our opponent to get past us instead of staying compact on the field."

The team's chemistry has evaporated away from home, as the Pirates have an away record of 1-2.

The lone road win came against Lehigh on Aug. 24. Soma said the team's biggest weakness has been the lack of finishing from the team.

"There were a lot of games that were 0-0 throughout," Soma said. "We do really well on offense, but I think finishing our shots and getting the win has been our biggest problem."

The Pirates come into the match, with two straight conference losses at home, against No. 21 Marquette and the University of South Florida.

The team will first travel to Syracuse where they will face a 5-4-2 Orange team that holds a 1-1-1 home record and is 2-1-1 in the Big East.

Syracuse is coming off a win against Cincinnati that came off of the foot of Freshmen Maya Pitts in their most recent game at Cincinnati. Syracuse's goal keeper, junior Brittany Anghel, also played well in the team's most re- cent win, making four saves and posting her second shutout of the season.

Syracuse is coming off of three straight road games, and re- turns home to face the Pirates.

Seton Hall last faced the Orange in 2011 at Owen T. Carroll Field, where the Pirates fell, 1-4.

Following their match with Syracuse, the Pirates will travel to Queens where they will face the St. John's Red Storm.

St. John's is on a four-game losing streak since beginning conference play. Their record now stands at 4-7, with a home record of 2-4.

The last time the teams met, the Pirates beat St. John's in the first round of the Big East Cham- pionship at Owen T. Carroll Field by a score of 1-0 on Oct. 27, 2011.

The one goal was scored by former Pirate Amy Beamish in the 89th minute off a rebound from a missed shot.

Soma, who played 79 min- utes in the game, said the team's greatest strength is how they play together.

"The most positive is our chemistry on and off the field," Soma said. "This team has been the closest the last two years than it's ever been, and I think because we are so close that helps us when we are on the field, to stay positive."

Soma said she remembers the Big East Championship game from last season and said the Red Storm should not be a problem for the Pirates this time around.

"I'm excited," Soma said. "I think they are a team we could easily beat. We did well against them in the final last year, and I don't think we will have a problem beating them again."

Courtney Hnasko can be reached at Courtney.Hnasko@ student.shu.edu