Cross country teams place at UMES Cappy Anderson Invitational

The Seton Hall men's and women's cross country teams earned respective overall team finishes of 2nd place Saturday afternoon at the UMES Cappy Anderson Invitational.

The trip down south to University of Maryland Eastern Shore provided the runners with an opportunity to run up to their potential, due to the ideal running conditions of an easy, flat course and warm weather. The invitational fielded teams from Morgan State University, Norfolk State University, Coppin State University, University of Pittsburgh, Wesley College, Delaware State University and host UMES.

Seton Hall's highest finish of the day belonged to senior Jared Hanko, who placed fifth in the men's race.

Senior Hughnique Rolle placed sixth to lead the women with a new personal record of 18:51.85. Joining the seniors in the top 10 was junior Carl Johnston ending the day in ninth place.

The eventual winner of the day was Pittsburgh, who placed in first for both the men and women. Pittsburgh now boasts a record of 10-1 for the women's team and 11-1 for the men's team.

Aiding in the effort to earn second overall for both teams were junior Nyala Eddings and sophomore Mary Migton with respective finishes of 11th and 13th, along with freshman Amanda Quaglia in 16th and Alex Ryan in 19th.

Eddings' 11th place finish at 19:29.09 was a new personal best. Eddings said her work ethic and determination helped lead her during the race.

"I was confident," Eddings said. "(I'm) glad the workouts have paid off, and to be doing what I can for the team."

For the men's side, sophomore Tyler Orner, freshman Jacob Bast, freshman Ryan Flannery, and senior Corey Hellwig who finished consecutively 13th, 14th, 15th , and 16th.

According to Eddings the team strives for individual improvement weekly.

"We pretty much wanted to PR(get personal records) personally and stick together as a pack."

As gratifying as a new PR and an overall team finish of 2nd are, Eddings said the team continues to stay hungry to improve and win.

Going forward, Eddings and the team are going to keep moving forward.

"(We are)striving to push for PR's," Eddings said. "But we aren't content unless we get first place."

The men and women's next meet will take place Saturday at the Asics Embry-Riddle Classic.

Matthew Kochen can be reached at Matthew.Kochen@student.shu.edu