Seton Hall graduate creates record label

At a time when unemployment among college graduates is ex­tremely common, it's refresh­ing to hear an alumnae's success story.

Margarita Morales graduated from Seton Hall in 2009 with a major in Public Relations and Journalism. She created her own freelance music blog in 2008, and expanded it into a record label by 2011.

In October 2011, Starbeat Mu­sic signed its first band, "Those Mockingbirds," and signed an­other three bands in the next few months.

According to Morales, she cred­its her time at Seton Hall for pre­paring her for the real world.

"I learned a lot of communica­tion and writing skills," Morales said. "Seton Hall helped me through my education and also my extracurricular activities. I worked at the radio station as Promotions Director for a year. It taught me a lot in terms of marketing and pro­moting."

Starbeat Music has already re­leased four records this year. Their next record, "Work," by Bern & the Brights, will be available on October 2, Morales said.

According to Morales, the label has received so many interested artists and bands that they have had to decline prospective clients.

While Morales said the company is doing well now, it was not al­ways the case.

"Honestly, when I was first start­ing it, I was really stressed and I was going to back out," Morales said.

According to Morales, she funded her label with her own savings that she compiled from simultaneously working three jobs in the food services industry. Morales also invested that money into developing her label with her business partner, 23-year-old Jeff Lambert.

When the times got tough, Mo­rales and Lambert stayed moti­vated by their love for music, Mo­rales said.

"Even with the highs and lows, we were both passionate about music and invested in the music," Morales said.

As a former Pirate, Morales said she wanted to share her wisdom and experience to the future grad­uates of Seton Hall.

"If you're passionate about something, you have to move for­ward with it with no fear," Mo­rales said. "The most important thing is to network, ask a lot of questions and do your research."

According to Morales, the goal of the label has a lot to do with music appreciation.

"I just want people to know about the music," Morales said.

Amy Pujara can be reached at amy.pujara@student.shu.edu.