Grad students highlight artwork by several nuns

The Walsh Gallery premiered its newest exhibit, "Colors of Faith," on Sept. 16, that will be on dis­play until Oct. 13.

The exhibit is co-curated by Eliz­abeth Girvin and Jesse McGar­ity, two students in the Museum Professions Graduate Program. With help of Sister Anita Talar, Girvin and McGarity reached out to Women's Religious Orders in northern N.J. to focus their show strictly on pieces created by nuns.

According to McGarity, the nuns took a much more creative route.

"They are more into crafts than art," McGarity said. "They are very creative."

Objects in the exhibition are gathered from five locations in­cluding The Monastery of Our Lady of the Rosary, Georgian Court University, Saint James Convent, McAuley Hall and the Seton Hall University Depart­ment of Archives and Special Collections, according to a press release.

Girvin and McGarity said they divided the gallery into two main sections, things used within the church and enjoyment. While there is variety in what is offered in the show, all artwork on the walls focus on scenes with flowers and water.

According to McGarity one of the nuns has an unconventional way of painting.

"Sister Kathy has Multiple Sclerosis and she cannot user her hands," McGarity said. "She ac­tually used her mouth to paint the pictures. She uses a long pole and it comes out so beautifully, you would never know she did not use her hands."

Girvin and McGarity said one of their favorite paintings was done by Sister Joyce Jacobs. The paint­ing sits at the gallery's entrance.

From 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. on Sat­urday, October 13, Jewelry and soaps will be sold to the public

Ashley Duvall can be reached at Ashley.duvall@student.shu.edu.

Catherine Chidiac can be reached at Catherine.chidiac@student.shu.edu.