Crazy Holidays worth celebrating: September 2012

Agendas and calen­dars often don't list all the holidays in a given month, but for Fresh­men Studies, it's an important way to keep staff involved.

Maggie Hernandez, administrative as­sistant for Freshmen Studies, said she has been printing out the calendar with holidays since she took over her position three years ago.

"It was already a tradition in Freshman Studies and all the mentors and Peer Ad­visors looked forward to the beginning of the month to see what the calendar has assigned," Hernandez said. "It's fun and a good conversation starter."

Hernandez said de­pending on the day the office will celebrate by bringing food in.

"We also include the mentor's birthdays in the calendar so it is a good reminder for that as well."

According to Peer Ad­visor Moira Kelly, it's a great way to make every day special.

"A couple weeks ago it was national waffle day so I had a couple of my friends over for breakfast to celebrate with waffles of course," Kelly said.

Andrew Nguyen, an­other peer advisor for Freshmen Studies, said he loves having the cal­endar around the office.

"It's a great way to make the day a little more interesting," Nguy­en said. "I'll go into the office not knowing what is celebrated that day and when I find out, I get excited and do what I can to take part of the holiday."

Sept. 19 was "Talk like a Pirate" day and Hernan­dez said she wasn't sure she could pull it off, but tried.

Student Jackie Felteau said she celebrated yes­terday.

"We are the Pirates," Felteau said. "I of course tried my hardest to par­ticipate."

Some students, how­ever, were unaware of "Talk like a Pirate" day due to the fact that these obscure holidays are pri­marily unknown.

"I didn't know it ex­isted," senior Ashley Winnicka-Moniez said.

Juniors Courtney Hnasko and Megan Furlong also said they didn't participate because they didn't know about the day.

For more creative calendar holidays see below or check on­line.

Ashley Duvall can be reached at Ashley. duvall@student.shu. edu.