Fashion Night Out marks start of New York Fashion Week

Fashion's Night Out, the official start of Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week, was held on Sept. 6, from 6-11 p.m. in cities spanning the globe. From Manhattan to Los Angeles, Milan to Atlanta, FNO celebrated its fourth year in existence with over 500 cities worldwide joining in on after-store-hours festivities.

According to its official website, FNO was "created in 2009 to celebrate fashion, restore consumer confidence, boost the industry's economy during the recession, and put the fun back in shopping!"

High profile celebrities such as Darren Criss, David Beckham, Anna Wintour, Alessandra Ambrosiano and more were a part of various FNO events that ranged from signings to runway shows.

Seton Hall students also had the luxury of being a part of the memorable evening, joining with almost 900 stores and designers to participate in special events and promotions, thanks to their close proximity to Manhattan.

Senior Sabrina Browne, who had never gone to FNO prior, was one of this year's attendees.

"I was expecting a lot going into FNO, and my expectations were met," she said. "I had been tracking the website leading up to the big day and every single day it seemed like a new event was being added. My excitement was growing and I couldn't wait for the day to come."

So, when the day finally came to make the journey into NYC, Sabrina, who describes her style as "chic, creative and trendy," expected to see "new fall patterns, creativity, abstract designs, celebrities, designers and everything else that makes up the New York fashion culture."

Like any other fashion-obsessed attendee, Sabrina was eager to check out a variety of stores that were all offering different events, promotions, cocktail hours or even musical performances.

"We checked out a few stores downtown in Soho, including MAC, C Wonder, H&M, Vince Camuto, All Saints Spitalfields, Express, Billionaires Boys Club and a few more," she said. "My favorite would have to be C Wonder, which is downtown on Spring Street. The store is just so chic, fabulous and feminine. They had cute jewelry, accessories and home d?©cor that were truly one of kind."

Although Fashion's Night Out has only been around for a few years and does not receive the same recognition as the rest of Fashion Week, it was an evening "in the life of Carrie Bradshaw" for those like Sabrina who had the chance to experience the night for themselves.

Alexandra D'Aluisio can be reached at Alexandra.Daluisio@ student.shu.edu.