2011-2012 SOPAC season sets high expectations

The South Orange Performing Arts Center announced Tuesday that their 2011-2012 Season had an increase in attendance, according to a press release.

SOPAC estimates the increase at about 23.65 percent including six sellout shows.

According to the release, Interim Executive Director Linda Onorevole describes last season as record-setting.

"It's a testament to the great work of the SOPAC staff and the exceptional artists who have graces the stage at SOPAC," Onorevole said.

SOPAC also experienced a 57 percent increase in education attendance numbers in the history of the organization.

In addition to a number of new programs that had been added last year, SOPAC also brought back several popular events.

"SOPAC reprised the popular SOPAC Business Leaders Break- fast' networking event, offered specially priced SOPAC-member ticket offers, upgraded the venue's social media and online advertising campaigns, and secured a robust partnership with the Village of South Orange," the release said.

Also according to the release, SOPAC received two state grants last season, one from the NJ State Council on the Arts and another from the New Jersey Cultural Trust.

SOPAC plans to continue to build on its recent success for the upcoming 2012-2012 Season, ac- cording to the release.

Linda Onorevole could not re- turn request for comment before press time.

Ashley Duvall can be reached at ashley.duvall@student.shu.edu.