New Owl City album nothing to hoot about

Owl City's newest album, "The Midsummer Station," fell in between the cracks of mainstream pop and modern electronica on August 21.

Adam Young's fourth major album since signing with Universal Republic was a respectable attempt but doesn't quite make the mark.

Thrown on as background music it does just fine, but as a centerpiece, the songs meld together in a cauldron of boredom. The lyrics yield a sort of drowsy effect upon the listener. Think, the Postal Service with a pillow.

The album features overly cheesy, translucent lines that lack creativity and seem forced and over-rhymed.

While the album will not likely be a great success on the charts, it's not a complete failure. Young's remarkable basement-to-studio fame brings hope for any aspiring artist, making the seemingly impossible, possible.

Like his previous albums, this one features what can be called "a one hit wonder." Carly Rae Jepson, popular for her hit single "Call Me Maybe," is featured on the track "Good Time," which has already topped the charts.

Overall, the album might be a step up from the average radio tune, but falls short of respectable music. Although a rejuvenated effort from his last, Young has a long road ahead of him to differentiate himself from the crowd.

The Setonian gives this album 1 out of 5 stars.

Benjamin Rader can be reached at Benjamin.rader@student.shu.edu.