Volleyball off to best start since 1996

A sweep of the previously undefeated Hofstra Pride improves the Pirates volleyball team's record to 5-1, their best start to a season since 1996 when they were 10-0.

The Hall made easy work of the Pride in the sweep with the closest set being the first, a 25-21 win for the Pirates followed by 25-14 and 25-17 set victories to close out the match.

Leading the Hall's attack that converted at a .349 clip was freshman Molly Grammer with nine kills while sophomore Shelby Manthrope collected eight. Junior Alyssa Warren had a team high 15 digs to put her at 1,209 in her career placing her fourth in the volleyball programs all-time list passing Sarah Osmun.

The first set started with both sides trading points to 12-12 after a kill by Hofstra's sophomore Kelsie Wills. After that point the Pirates went on a three point run capped off by a service ace from sophomore Stacey Manthorpe for their biggest lead of the set at 15-12.

The Pride closed it back within one, 15-14, but another run by the Hall pushed their lead to 19-15. Both teams traded points to 23-21, and two straight attack errors by Hofstra gave the Pirates the first set.

Set two started with the Hall continuing their momentum and jumping out to a 4-1 lead. The Pride looked to be getting back into the match with five straight points but the Pirates responded with a 12-3 run, taking a commanding 16-9 set lead.

From that point the Pride would just get within six, but with the score at 18-12 a six point run from the Hall all but closed out the set at 24-12, and three points later took the 2-0 lead with a 25-14 set victory.

The third set was more of the same as the Hall would take a 2-1 lead and never relinquish it through the set. A six point run with the score at 17-13 gave the Pirates their largest lead of the third set at 23-13, before closing out the set, 25-17, on a kill by Shelbey Manthorpe.

The Pirates look to close out their season starting road trip at the University of Rhode Island Tournament against Canisius, Hartford and Rhode Island with their first starting at 11:00 a.m. on Friday.

Stephen Valenti can be reached at stephen.valenti@student.shu.edu