Vander May steps down as softball head coach

Ray Vander May, head coach of the softball team, will step down from his position after 16 years at Seton Hall.

"It has been a pleasure coaching so many fine student-athletes over my 16 years at Seton Hall," Vander May said in a press release. "I have been blessed to have worked with so many caring people. I wish the best to all the programs and I thank everyone for their support over the years."

According to the release, Vander May chose to step down to spend time with his family and focus strictly on the pitching of softball.

Vander May boasts a career record of 423-382-3 including three NCAA Regional appearances in 2001, 2004 and 2005, and back-to-back Big East Championships in 2004 and 2005.

In the two Big East Championship seasons, Vander May earned the Big East Coach of the Year award.

According to Patrick Lyons, Seton Hall Director of Athletics, Vander May has been a "wonderful representative" for both the softball team and the University.

"On his watch, the team has seen unprecedented success," Lyons said in the release. "We thank him for his many years of service and wish him the best of luck in his future endeavors."

Vander May has coached 32 All-Big East players and close to 200 Big East Academic All-Stars.

This season, the Pirates struggled with an overall record of 21-32 with a 3-19 record in the Big East, however Vander May remained confident in his team's ability.

"It's about that mental toughness," Vander May said after a loss to No. 9 Louisville. "We can play with anybody. It's that belief that you can beat any team."

Vander May's influence on the game surpasses the gates of Seton Hall University and into the Cedar Grove school system. Vander May coached softball for 21 years in the system with a record of 379-130-1.

The softball field at Cedar Grove's Leonard R. Parkes School is dedicated to Vander May.