Sher becomes first tennis player on All-Big East team

For the first time in the history of the Seton Hall women's tennis program, a player has been named to the All-Big East team. Sopho­more Chloe Sher was named to the team following her year with a 20-10 singles record.

"I am extremely proud of what Chloe (Sher) has accomplished this season," head coach Greg Wyzykowski said in a press re­lease.

Sher also made another mark in the record book this year with her doubles partner, sophomore Rocio Portela. As a team, Sher and Portela won 15 matches, breaking the old record of 14, and also won their 23rd career match victory, setting a new school re­cord. This season alone Sher and Portela went on a 13-match win streak as the No. 1 doubles team.

In the Big East, Sher went 8-1 in singles play as the Pirates' No. 1 player and also recorded a 4-1 record against opponents that were ranked regionally or nation­ally. Her biggest win came in a 6-1, 6-2 victory over Syracuse's Emily Harman who at the time was No. 108 nationally.

"Her success is a culmination of the hard work and dedication she has displayed throughout her time here, and this award is just icing on the cake," Wyzykowski said. "As a team, we get to see how talented she is on a daily ba­sis, but it is nice to see that she has opened up some eyes around the conference as well."

Sher also became the first player in program history to earn Big East Player of the Week Hon­ors for the week of March 12. In the team's three matches that weekend, Sher went 5-0, includ­ing a 2-0 mark in singles play, which included a victory in three straight sets over the Northeast's No. 16 player - Fordham's Amy Simidian.

So far in her first two years as a Pirate, Sher has recorded 40 wins in singles play, leaving her only 11 away from making it into the top 10 for all-time career wins in Seton Hall history.

Stephen Valenti can be reached at stephen.valenti@stu­dent.shu.edu.