Fond farewell to TV favorites: Desperate Housewives

Wisteria Lane has come to a dead end.

Since their start in 2004, the ladies of Desperate House­wives have gossiped, drank and occasionally murdered their way through 8 seasons on ABC. Now, they are about finish up their last.

Within season 8, viewers have seen the last of Gabrielle Solis' (Eva Longoria) abusive step-father, Alejandro, as these suburbanites attempt to cover up his death, and watched with baited breath beside Marcia Cross' character, Bree Van de Kamp, at the drama and suspense of her dating a cop in the middle of this chaos. They witnessed Carlos, Longo­ria's husband in the show, go to rehab for alcohol­ism after becoming depressed. And these view­ers even died alongside Mike as he took his last breath in the middle of Wisteria Lane.

But unlike Desperate Housewives usual hysterics, creator Mark Cherry has "crafted a heartfelt farewell," says TV Guide. There were ideas of destroying the lane - through fire or flood - being tossed around by the show's writ­ers, but "it would be an­ticlimactic," Cherry said.

"Person­ally, I loved the drama," said sophomore Alex Ferlise. "Until it got really over the top in the later sea­sons."

Instead, Cherry has given his faithful audience, according to the TV Guide, behind-the-scenes article: a marriage, a possible marriage, a birth and a sanctioned death. The details of whom and how can be found on the series finale, Sunday, May 13 at 9 p.m. on ABC.

Chelsea Catlett can be reached at chelsea. catlett@student.shu.edu.