Engaging' comedy hits theaters

Can true love really wait? Fianc?©es Tom (Ja­son Segel) and Violet (Emily Blunt) are perfect for each other. The only thing not perfect is that they are not married and don't seem to be get­ting any closer to walking down the aisle.

The movie, which was written by Segel, has just the right combination of romance and comedy. Whether laughing at the situation the characters are dealing with or just the char­acters themselves, theater-goers will not stop laughing. Viewers will also fall in love with the characters and their predicament.

When Violet is offered her dream job-post-doctorate work at a university in Michigan- she struggles between feeling selfish or feeling like she is missing out on the opportunity of a lifetime. With encouragement from her would-be husband, Violet decides to take the job, and the couple move to Michigan and postpone their wedding.

Tom, a talented chef, does not find immedi­ate comfort in his new home. In Los Angeles, their orig­inal home, Tom was o f f e r e d the op­portunity of being the head chef of his own res­t au r ant . Now he is having difficulty finding a job even in the small­est eatery. After trying many places Tom finds a job as a sandwich maker and meets some inter­esting people.

While Tom is still trying to find himself in the new atmosphere, Violet is thriving and suc­ceeding at her new job. She fits in right away and is admired by her colleagues. She enjoys her new life, but the thought of Tom being unhap­py always haunts her. The question that comes from this is can two people really be happy, or does one person always have to sacrifice?

Communication and honesty are the keys to success, but they are also the ingredients that are missing from Tom and Violet's love. How­ever, that is what provides the humor of the movie. Incidents like falling on a fire hydrant, driving with a dead deer and getting shot in the knee with an arrow help make the movie a co­medic masterpiece. Chris Pratt and Alison Brie, who play sister and brother-in-law to Violet, contribute to comedic parts of the movie.

With witty lines and a romantic plot, "The Five Year Engagement" proves that true love waits and love will save the day, or in this case, save the date.

Catherine Chidiac can be reached at cath­erine.chidiac@student.shu.edu.