University beginning campus-wide renovations in summer 2012

Starting this summer, the University will undergo a two year construction process to upgrade multiple buildings on campus, according to Vice President of Finance and Technology Dennis Garbini.

"As a component of the University's Strategic Plan, 'From Strength to Strength', Seton Hall leadership is proud to highlight a series of facilities enhancements, renovations and upgrades that will begin this summer...," Garbini said in a press release.

According to Garbini, the overall total cost of all the rennovations is projected to be in "excess of $18 million."

The design of the construction project, which will be centered around the Richie Regan Athletic Center and includes upgrades to Xavier, Neumann and Serra Residence Halls, among other campus buildings, still has to be presented to the South Orange Board of Trustees and approved by the state, according to Garbini.

Garbini said that all of the construction besides that of the rec center will be completed by the beginning of the fall 2012 semester.

According to the press release, the enhancements to the rec center that will benefit "student fitness activity" include an additional 15,000 square feet to the building, and "glass walls that allow natural light to permeate the exercise facility and provide a panoramic view."

"The space will allow for almost twice as much equipment than the current setup in the fitness center," Garbini said.

The Field House will also be affected by the construction in the Athletic Center.

A second level will be added to the room along with the replacing of the current flooring with a new "updated, multi-purpose" floor, according to the press release.

"Through construction students will have access to the rec center, although at times access may be limited." Garbini said.

In addition to the rec center upgrades, the athletics department is going to receive new tennis courts, according to the press release.

Garbini has also released more details on the construction of the Dunkin'' Donuts, which will be in Walsh Library next year.

"The Dunkin'' Donuts will be where the reading room currently is," he said. "It will have an entrance from the inside and outside of the library."

An outdoor entrance to the Dunkin'' Donuts is necessary because although it will be open 24/5, as reported by The Setonian, Walsh Library is not.

The University is considering setting up "small caf?© seating" near the outdoor entrance to the Dunkin'' Donuts, according to Garbini.

Multiple residence halls will also be renovated as part of the aforementioned "From Strength to Strength" initiative.

Serra and Neumann Halls, along with the tower of Xavier Hall (floors four through seven), will undergo "extreme makeovers," according to the press release.

Planned upgrades to the three residence halls include new carpeting and paint, renovations to bathrooms, and "improvements to the mechanical systems for each building," according to the press release.

Other building enchantments include updated heating and air conditions systems in the Arts & Sciences building, as well as the removal of the turnstiles in both Boland and Xavier halls which the University hopes will provide a "more comfortable and welcoming space as well as easier access to and from the buildings," according to the press release.

Nicholas Parco can be reached at nicholas.parco@student.shu.edu.