Softball swept by Connecticut in Big East opener

The softball team was swept by the UConn Huskies, losing all three games this weekend.

Connecticut outscored the Pirates 12-2 during the three game series, and dropped the team's overall record to 15-15.

The sweep improves Huskies record to 10-11 (3-0 Big East).

The Pirates dropped the final game of the series on in the second game of the Saturday doubleheader,3-1,only managing three hits during the game.

The Pirates scored their lone run in the bottom of the second inning after shortstop Brittany Hammer drew a walk with the bases loaded to bring right fielder Laura Canulli home. The 1-0 lead was the only lead of the series for the Pirates.

The Huskies would answer in the top of the fourth after Kim Silva slapped a two-run home run to right field to take the lead 2-1.

Connecticut insured their lead after a throwing error from second baseman Maria DeLuca brought in O'Donnell.

In the first game of the doubleheader on Saturday, the Pirates fell behind early, giving up two runs to the Huskies on three hits in the top of the first inning.

Connecticut scored their final run in the second inning, after third baseman Kim Silva scored on a Jen Ward single to center.

The Pirates would answer with one run in the bottom of the fourth inning, but that would end the scoring for both teams as the Pirates fell 3-1.

Pitcher Casey Moses completed all seven innings, allowing six hits and striking out two.

The Pirates struggled offensively, leaving 10 runners on base during the game.

The Pirates dropped the opener of the series, 6-0, on Friday night.

Similar to their third game, the Pirates fell behind 2-0 in the top of the first inning.

Pitcher Danielle DeStaso walked Ward to open the game. Marissa Guches slammed a two-run home run to left field.

The Huskies would score again in the top of the second after Amy DeLuca scored on a throwing error by Meredith Henze, taking a 3-0 lead.

The Huskies rallied in the seventh inning, scoring three runs off five hits and two Pirate errors, ending any hope of a Pirate comeback.

In her two games of the series, DeStaso allowed six runs off 15 hits, while striking out 13 Huskies and only walking four. The two loss weekend drops her record on the season to 3-6.

The Pirates stranded a combined 23 runners on base during the series.

The Pirates will be back in action with a doubleheader on Wednesday against Rutgers at Ivy Hill Park. First pitch is scheduled for 3 p.m.

T.J. Brennan can be reached at Thomas.brennan@student.shu.edu