Campus organization takes part in 'Get Real Barbie' campaign for better body image

Alpha Phi Omega will table through this afternoon for their "Get Real Barbie" campaign as part of National Eating Disorders Awareness Week.

Freshman Maggie McNair, who is heading the campaign for the fraternity said the organization will share information about what Barbie would look like if she were a real human being. The campaign also focuses on body issues that young people may develop due to stereotypes.

APO will be asking students to sign a "Body Contract" that states "I love who I am and what I look like, I know that I am beautiful."

"This contract is claiming that the students that place their signatures on the paper believe they do not have to be ‘Barbie' or any type of media view of perfect to be beautiful," McNair said. "That in fact imperfections and uniqueness makes us wonderful."

McNair found the campaign online and thought it would be important to bring to campus.

"I thought Seton Hall should be exposed to the positive message that the campaign spreads," McNair said. "This campaign is an amazing way to support the idea of positive image for students here at Seton Hall."

McNair hopes the campaign will encourage students to feel beautiful.

"I think this world has a strong voice in telling girls and guys how they should be," McNair said. "But I want to be a voice telling them there is no cookie cutter for beauty, that red hair, brown hair, blonde hair, skinny, curvy, loud, quiet, they are all attributes that make someone beautiful."

The table will be giving out free healthy snacks as part of the campaign, McNair said.

Ashley Duvall can be reached at ashley.duvall@student.shu.edu